Monsoon is already here. Along with it comes the beautiful and cosy weather. But this weather also has an ugly side to it. It spreads flu, cough and cold that can get contagious. The sneezing and coughing is not only annoying, but also embarrassing. Especially, when you’re in the middle of a presentation and you have an itchy, sore throat to deal with.
Now you can always rush to the doctor and get some medicines and cough syrups. But then the cough syrups are so chemically strong, that’s they would make you feel drowsy, ruining your entire day. And when it comes to your kids, you have to literally chase them to gulp down the bitter cough syrup, while they make all possible excuses to avoid having it.
But hey! We got a better alternative for you. What if we tell you that you can actually make a sweet cough syrup at home using… Yes, you guessed that right – Honey Twigs!
Honey, Lemon, and Ginger Can Shoo Flu Away!
Honey: Honey’s anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties can kill the bacterial virus, giving instant relief to the throat. It battles congestion and alleviates allergies.
Lemon: It boosts immune system and clears sinuses so that you can breathe better.
Ginger: It relieves dry cough and reduces chest pain. It also helps get rid of phlegm.
Recipe to Homemade Cough Syrup
You can actually prepare the syrup at home in around 10 minutes. It’s so easy!
Ready? Here we go!
- 5 Honey Twigs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of peeled and sliced ginger
- 1 cup water
- In a saucepan, combine sliced ginger with one cup of water. Bring it to a boil and then simmer it for around 5 minutes. Now strain the ginger water in a utensil.
- On another pan, add honey from the twigs and warm it on low flame for 2 minutes while continuously stirring it. Make sure you do not boil it.
- Now add the strained ginger water and lemon juice to the honey and stir it well till it forms a thick syrup. This should get done in 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, you can pour the syrup into a clean jar with a lid.
P.S. You can refrigerate this syrup for up to 2 months. Gently warm the syrup before consuming it.
Honey is recommended to children after the age of one. Kids between the ages 1 -5 years, can have ½ tsp of syrup every 2 hours. For 5 – 12 years, 1 or 2 teaspoons every 2 hours. For children who are 12 years or older than that as well adults can consume 1 or 2 teaspoons in every 4 hours.
3 Takeaways with This Syrup
- Its natural ingredients are effective to soothe a sore, inflamed throat
- Since it’s antibiotic free, it doesn’t induce drowsiness
- Your kids will love this sweet medicine prepared at home
End result? Kids happy. You happy. We happy. So, go ahead, make your own cough syrup to drive away the rainy blues. Team Honey Twigs wishes you a happy and healthy monsoon! 🙂